Thursday, February 17, 2011

"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."

Hello everyone!

Just a quick update from here way down South. Not a ton has been going on this last week, just working hard at getting homework done, walking out in the city, and going to the beach as much as possible! We've begun scoping out our plans for our 10 day free travel coming up in March so that we can book tickets and everything which has been fun, but stressful. Yesterday we went to the Legislative Palace of Uruguay, which was absolutely beautiful. I took some pictures, which I'll post soon, but they don't do the architecture justice (sorry for the pun). We also went to a naval museum the other day with our Spanish teacher Amelia. She is so precious. It was cool though because it was out by the ocean and afterwards she took us to these shops down by the water. They had a fish market and some stands with cuuute little things to buy. I loved it! This area of Montevideo was very nice and upscale. It was absolutely beautiful! I really enjoy our little outings. It just shows me how diverse the city is, plus riding the buses is always an adventure. There are so many characters to observe. Sometimes there are musicians who will ride and collect pesos, I always love that, and sometimes we have to chase down buses we need. You never know what's going to happen. We've spent some time with the youth too in the last week. We will go out and get dinner or go play pool. They're a really great group and it's always good practice for my Spanish. Oh! and last Sunday I got to go play with some kids at an orphanage here in Montevideo. It's just volunteer based, and the children were absolutely crazy. I have never said no! so many times in my life. By the end of the afternoon I had made some little buddies and I really hope to go back once we're back in a few weekends from our travels. We also kicked off our first girls devo last night which was a great success. One of my new best friends Jaime spoke to us about the story of God telling Abraham he was going to finally give him children. She talked about how in the story God leads Abraham out of the tent they're talking in to look up at the sky and literally show him the magnitude of his promises. I loved how she compared it to our experience here, where God has led us out of our little tent to physically show us all he is and all he can do. It was a great night with the girls.

This weekend we're taking about a three hour bus ride to a beach town northeast of Montevideo called Rocha. We'll leave early in the morning and come back Sunday. It's supposed to be one of the highlights of the trip so needless to say I'm really looking forward to staying at our beach hotel. It will be nice to get out of the city, plus its our first real trip together so I'm just thrilled. I really need a distraction from Sing Song anyways. Even all the way down here, we are buzzing about costumes, rumors we've heard, and the endless possibilities! Sunday night we've already decided we are going to split up into a Siggie room and a Kojie room to find out the results. We're all super nervous, and of course the people not in club think we're crazy, but I think it's fun! Then next weekend we will head to Buenos Aires for a five day trip. This coming month is going to be FILLED with experiences and fun times. I am veryyyy excited, duh.

Well I chose Matthew 6:33 as my title tonight, not only because it is Siggie's club verse (STC! and GO PIGS for all of you Sing Songers), but this has become one of my very favorite reminders these days. I've talked a lot about the growth I've been experiencing here and something I get from this verse is a reminder that if I am seeking, and I mean earnestly seeking God, all the blessings I will ever need will be given to me. I listened to a sermon the other day about identity and the message made me realize that part of the reason I have felt so confused in my transition here is because at home I've stored up so many treasures and I've placed my identity in those things. Not bad things! Just things that I can't carry with me everywhere. I have told myself that those things are what make me who I am and so when I've "just not felt like myself," it was because I was clinging to those comforts of back home. Following? So I've realized, though the things I've invested in are good and admirable, they cannot satisfy me like the Living God! Duh, but seriously! So upon arriving here, where I know no one and nothing, it was a good reminder that God promises us nothing more than himself and a relationship with him, and everything else will be taken care of. What a brilliant idea! And one of the things that I love most about our God is that every time I learn one of these little lessons he's not only proud of me, but he gives me a fresh new chance every day to move forward with it. So that's what I've been doing. I've been attempting to seek first His kingdom by choosing Him each morning, and learning that all He sees that I need He will make it happen.

Of course I have a lot of other thoughts and wonderful things to share, but I just want to ask that you continue to be praying for us here as we are overwhelmed with our homework, continue to rely on each other as a family, decipher the lessons God is revealing to us, and all the while are making amazing memories to last us a lifetime.

I love you all very much and appreciate you so much for being apart of my life.

-Hailey or "Hailz" as I have come to be affectionately known by the girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment