Friday, April 22, 2011

75 and Sunny!


Hello everyone!!

Sorry it’s taken me a while to get on top of my blog this week. Since getting back from Brazil I have been swamped and honestly just have not had much motivation. This time of the year is the worst, apparently no matter where I am in the world, when school is winding down and I just don’t want to do any of my work! But nonetheless, I do it anyways.. We’re all feeling in here in Casa ACU. With only one more free weekend of travel left, all we have to do is soak up Montevideo and each other in these last few weeks. But about Brazil!

First of all, to cut costs, we took a bus to Brazil- one of those big, nice ones we get to go on mission trips and stuff. Somehow it was cheaper than flying, but it was 24 HOURS long… and as bad as that sounds it actually was pretty fun. Bus rides like that are always great for bonding and good conversation.. and card games! I had to explain to everyone that I couldn’t play Spades because they only way I knew how to play was to cheat.  They didn’t really understand. Anyways, it was great and on the way we made a stop to see some of the ancient Jesuit missions that are a big deal in Latin American history. Once we got to Brazil, we checked into our beautiful hotel, had supper and settled in. We stayed at a beautiful resort and it was really cool to see all the different people who come from all from all over the world to visit the falls. Monday and Tuesday we actually visited Iguazu Falls and it was absolutely incredible. Monday we saw the Brazilian side of the falls, which is more of a panoramic view, and Tuesdays we went to the Argentine side where you get right up in the water. Needless to say, I got soaked!! Tuesday I actually went with a few others on a boat and rode under that water. It was such a thrill and we were completely drenched. I think it was totally worth it and will always remember that day. The falls were seriously mesmerizing though. I got some fantastic pictures, but honestly they don’t even begin to show how stunning the waters were. I’m so glad I got to experience this wonderful place! 

The next two days we enjoyed all the sun and relaxation that Brazil had to offer. With no homework and no agenda, I of course opted to lay by the amazing pool at the resort and spent our free time reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Yes, I did finish it, thank you for asking. And yes, I am ready to start the third book as soon as I get home. Let me think, what else? Oh! We also ate very well in Brazil.. and I mean really well. On top of the hotel’s fantastic complimentary breakfast, our directors took us out to traditional Brazil buffets… EVERY night. We enjoyed a huge selection of meats cooked on skewers right there in brick ovens, soo many desserts, and many other traditional Brazilian foods. I ate more than I ever should, but it was delicious. One of the nights we enjoyed a dancing show as well. It had acts representing all the traditional customs and dances of all the South American countries. I loved it! Then Friday, we packed up and headed back to Uruguay for another wicked long bus ride. This time we had transmission problems so by the time we got back to Montevideo we were all exhausted and restless- ready to be back. All in all, we had another wonderful trip together, made so many memories and I got another passport stamp! I really hope to go back to Brazil one day to see and experience more of the country, but this was a great first taste and I’m so glad I got to do it with some of my best friends. 

As I said, as with every time we have these wonderful trips, it was hard transitioning back to emails, reading assignments, and Spanish worksheets, but we all are enjoying soaking up all that this semester has left to offer. Yesterday we enjoyed going to Montevideo’s equivalent to the Texas State Fair complete with “gauchos” (cowboys), real bucking broncos (which I had never seen), churros, and tons of artisan markets. I bought some great presents and had a great time with everyone. It was good to see that part of Montevideo as well. Today we enjoyed walking down our main street as well and doing a little shopping. I always enjoy just getting out and walking around and just seeing the people out and about. With only a few weeks left, all of us are making a list of everything else we want to do, see, and eat before we leave. As everyone is encouraging us to do, we are doing our best to stay present and experience the very most of Uruguay in this remaining time. With one more travel weekend, and finals coming up, this trip really is coming to a close and I do my best to concentrate on one day at a time and not focus on the countdown. 

I’m sorry again that this post took so long, and I hope all of you are doing well. I am more than excited to see you in just a few short weeks and I love you all very much!

Chau Chau
Hailey

No comments:

Post a Comment