Thursday, January 20, 2011

New Beginnings

Yesterday was so long! After driving from Abilene to DFW Airport, waiting a few hours for our flight, flying from Dallas to Miami, waiting 3 hours and then a 4 hour delay we left out sometime before 3am and landed in Montevideo! Then our house parents, Rosalinda and Wimon Walker, took us to Casa ACU and we got to eat! Raquel, our cook, is fantastic. They took us around Montevideo on a scavenger hunt just to show us the basics we will need. I got my first pesos today which I was very excited about. After a shower (finally) and fresh clothes, they took us out to dinner and I had to give the taxi driver instructions. The thing is, I've never ridden in a taxi in my life, much less in a Spanish speaking country. Once again, I was pretty proud of myself. I already feel my Spanish improving. Dinner was interesting... The food here is going to take some getting used to for sure but I'm not too worried if they have cereal. I really don't love city life so far. Its kinda smelly and dirty. But I do like the energy! Plus we got to drive by the beach which is only a 20 minute walk. I caaaaan't wait! I'll be honest and say I'm more homesick than I thought I would be, but I know that every great transition takes time and patience. I'm excited, don't get me wrong, but I just hope that after I get rested, its all that everyone said it would be. I've got a huge semester ahead of me, I'm realizing bigger than I thought, but it's going to be an adventure! I love you and miss you all very much.


-Hailey

No comments:

Post a Comment