Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sunburns in January

Yesterday I finally got to put my toes in the sand! They showed us another part of Montevideo yesterday which had more open-air markets with everything you can imagine. The funniest thing was probably the video games and movies. I saw the Sims! Which, I haven't played since elementary school, but it was funny to see it here in this setting. We also got to go into Punta Carretas, I think it was called, which is an American looking shopping mall that was originally a prison. It was beautiful and, well of course, I saw so many shoes I wanted. It was weird feeling like I was walking around Stonebriar Mall or something back in Dallas. I got to speak with one of the girls working in one of the stores and she was so sweet. After a few sentences in Spanish she asked me if I wanted to speak English. I laughed out loud because she knew! Anyways, then we got to walk down to one of the nicer beaches down in that wealthier part of town for a little bit and took the bus back to the Casa. After hanging around here for a while, a few of the other girls and I walked down to our beach and spent an hour or so napping in the sand. It was so wonderful and I'm already getting sun! Then last night we got to meet the youth from the church we're connected with and have more pizza! It was deeelicious. They have really simple pizza but its great and cheap.

Today we went to church at the Iglesia de Cristo next door and our house dad spoke. I didn't understand everything, of course, but it was nice to go and meet the people. Then I passed out for the last couple of hours, hah. I'm still just catching up on my sleep and getting used to the time change. I wonder how long it will take before I stop looking at my watch and doing the math to think what time it is there for all of you. I miss home alot, but I'm doing better today. I listened to this sermon online last night about God listening and hearing those who love, worship, and pursue him. The lesson encouraged praying in confidence and being put at ease in knowing that he hears me, not just us the believers, but me as an individual. Me, Hailey! So as I rest up today, get some reading done, buy some groceries, and well probably hit the beach again, I'm reminded of that and at peace. I know he's taking care of me here- shaping, molding and amazing me, and! he's watching over everything back home and lacing my life together perfectly. What a sweet deal.

Please keep praying for my group and me as we start classes tomorrow and find a rhythm here. I love you all and appreciate you keeping up with me!

-Hailey

No comments:

Post a Comment