Friday, January 21, 2011

Southern Hospitality; Day 2

Welp.. I feel like I will be saying this alot this semester, but it's been a long day. We got out this afternoon after having some of our professors over for lunch and they sent us into the city really for the first time. We got to look over the pier, see the port, and go to Cuidad Vieja, which means the Old City. We were split into smaller groups just because one, thats more fun, and two, it doesn't draw as much attention. Its really cool because the streets are filled with tables set up everywhere with odds and ends and cool little items to buy, which I'm sure is common in alot of big cities, tons of magazine stands, food carts, and all the stores have open doors if a door at all. It really is chaos. They sat us down this morning for lots of advice, instructions, rules, and guidelines- which was great because its making it more real that I'll actually be living here, and it was really informational about what to expect and look out for out in the city. I feel like I am constantly scanning everyone and everything, not knowing really what to process. We got our first taste of city life today when we got a little off course and felt the wandering eyes. I really feel like a tourist here, which is interesting. The clothing style is so specific; its like a grunge, very relaxed look and definitely no glitter, bright colors, or glam. Even wearing tshirts seem a little off because its not like they walk around in athletic clothes. But the shoes are great! I can't wait to get some cute sandals. I'm definitely experiencing culture shock and realizing how much of a real thing it is. I've always heard the phrase, but didn't really understand until today. In my sweet, sheltered life back in Allen, and on the ACU campus, I always feel safe and taken care of. Everything is immediate, easy, and kinda beautiful- if that makes sense. I just realize I guess how careless I am or rather get to be. All the people in my life are generally respectful and friendly, and not that the Uruguayan people aren't wonderful, it's just different. In my life back in Texas, my upbringing has taught me to make confident eye contact, smile, and even sometimes greet people I pass. Here, you do not want to do that. I had to keep myself from smiling at people all day, and I felt so rude. They just don't do it. I've heard that about other big cities- like in the northern US cities, but anyone who knows me knows how hard that is for me to keep to myself and just look away. First of all, they just think you're weird, or you bring attention to yourself, or they think you're up to no good. It's just bizarre. I am obviously staying very aware and being careful, don't worry mom and dad, but it is definitely new living in a city.

In other news, the weather was beautiful today. Hot, but not too hot, and very windy. It gets really cool in the shade and when the sun goes down its definitely jeans and jacket weather, but its really pleasant. We had delicious food all day with fresh fruit for breakfast, pasta and fruit for lunch, and we went out to try their version of pizza and icecream for supper. It's all very different, but still good. Portion size is going to be key this semester, haha! I think we're going to get to go to the beach for real tomorrow, which of course I'm so excited about. And! My Spanish is already improving! Even while I've been typing this I've been thinking what my words or phrases would be in Spanish. I'm really looking forward to that class starting. Oh! and school starts Monday. They gave us this paper today with our whole semester on it, like classes and trips and stuff. It make it look so tiny.

Overall, I am happy to be here. God is really stretching me and I love the opportunity I am getting to know him in a completely different way; as the Protector. I am confident that he will guide my paths while I'm here and make me "invisible" as Rosalinda, our house mom, put it this evening. I will definitely have to get used to not drawing attention to myself, haha, and especially speaking quieter- which is the norm here. I miss you all alot and hope that I'm writing this for people to actually read! I love you and am praying for you in this time that we have apart. Oh and by the way, don't bother sending me anything, packages especially. It will take usually months to get here, if it gets here at all. My house parents got a package last week sent in August, so that stinks, but you will just have to email me instead.

Love you all so so much!
Hailey

No comments:

Post a Comment